Monitoring Studies Conducted with State Clients
- Science Theme:
- Natural Resources Inventory, Monitoring, & Assessment
- Science Topics
- Monitoring & Assessment
State forestry agencies often have non-traditional monitoring needs that FIA does not address. For example, National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center (NIMAC) clients might be interested in having precise estimates of forest attributes on the forestland that they manage, like State Forests, or having detailed information on trees outside of forests.
In order to address these needs, NIMAC works with state agencies in several state and substate areas. The following examples illustrate some of these partnerships.
In Wisconsin, NIMAC has teamed with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) to develop a forest inventory program that is allowing them to ensure the sustainability of their forests, focusing on forest certification and invasive plants. They now collect, analyze and publish data on an annual basis for each Wisconsin state forest individually and as a group (total of approximately 500,000 acres). One sample plot is measured for every 160 ac. The information is being used to track the status of and trends in forest extent, tree growth, mortality, harvest, invasive plants, wildlife habitat, and overall health.
WIDNR. 2019. Wisconsin's Continuous Forest Inventory (WisCFI) – program website. https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestPlanning/forestInventory.html. Accessed 3/8/19.
Meneguzzo, Dacia M.; Lister, Andrew J.; Sullivan, Cody. 2018. Summary of findings from the Great Plains Tree and Forest Invasives Initiative. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-GTR-177. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northern Research Station. 24 p. https://doi.org/10.2737/NRS-GTR-177.
Gallion, J. 2017. Indiana DNR state forest properties, report of Continuous Forest Inventory (CFI), Summary of years 2012-2016. Indiana Department of Natural Resources. Available at https://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-State_Forest_CFI_Report_2012_2016.pdf. Accessed 3/8/19.
Robertson, Guy; Mason, Andy (eds.). 2016. Assessing the Sustainability of Agricultural and Urban Forests in the United States. USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC, FS-1067. 75 pages. https://www.fs.usda.gov/treesearch/pubs/52278.
Lister, Andrew J.; Scott, Charles T.; Rasmussen, Steven. 2012. Inventory methods for trees in nonforest areas in the Great Plains States. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 184(4): 2465-2474. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-011-2131-6.
- James Westfall, USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis and NIMAC, Research Forester
- Andrew Lister, USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis and NIMAC, Research Forester
- Dacia Meneguzzo, USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis, Research Forester
- David Nowak, USDA Forest Service Northern Research Station Forest Inventory and Analysis, Research Forester
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Forestry
- North Dakota Forest Service
- South Dakota Department of Agriculture Resource Conservation and Forestry
- Nebraska Forest Service
- Kansas Forest Service
- Last modified: July 2, 2019