Hayes Tower Research Natural Area
- Huron Shores
- This RNA contains the only representation of a high-quality pine-oak forest type within a dry ice-contact hill landtype. This site is comprised of a high-quality pine-oak ecosystem (150 acres), 130 acres of early successional forest species resulting from tornado impacts, and 110 acres of intensively managed aspen stands.
Physical and Climatic Conditions
- Nearest weather station, with distance and direction from RNA:
- The nearest weather station is located at Loud Dam in Iosco County, 10 miles (16 km) south of the RNA.
- Annual precipitation (type, seasonal distribution) :
- Average annual rainfall is 28 inches (71 cm), and average annual snowfall is 51 inches (129 cm).
- Maximum and minimum temperatures:
- The average daily maximum temperature is 37.8 ºF and the average daily minimum is 0.6 ºF. The annual mean temperature is 19.2 ºF.
- The elevation varies from 930 to 1060 feet (283-323 m).
- Geology and Soils:
- The RNA is comprised of rolling ridges of end moraines and glaciated topography connecting a high plateau of sandy outwash plains (to the west and south) with lower elevation ground moraines (to the east and north). Landforms and soils within the RNA are characteristic of ice-contact topography. The following soil types are found within the RNA: Sandy Mixed Frigid Entic Haplorthod and Mixed Frigid Alfic Haplorthod.
- Aquatic Features:
- Martineau Creek and an unnamed stream flow through the south unit. The Carp River lies adjacent to the southern boundary of the north unit. An unnamed intermittent stream flows through the central area of the north unit. A high water table is a prominent feature, and ponds and standing water are common.
Ecological Classification & Inventory
- Northern Great Lakes (212H)
- Vanderbilt Moraines (212Hp)
- Landtype Association:
- Vanderbilt Moraines (212Hp)
- Landtype Phase(s):
- 221 - Dry ice-contact hill
221B (0-6% slope) - 108
221C (6-18% slope) - 126
221D (18-24% slope) - 25
222 - Dry ice-contact hill
222B (0-6% slope) - 24
223 - Dry ice-contact hill
223C (6-18% slope) - 65
225 - Dry ice-contact hill
225C (6-18% slope) - 14
235 - Mesic ice-contact hills
235C (6-18% slope) - 26
|SAF Cover Types (list acres):||Kuchler Types (list acres):|
|15 Red pine (65)||86 Great Lakes Pine (388)|
|16 Aspen (220)|
|25 Sugar maple-beech-yellow birch (20)|
|38 Tamarack - 26(S)|
|52 White oak-black oak-northern red oak (83)|
View or download Complete Plant List (pdf)
- Common Shrub Species:
- Velvetleaf-blueberry (Vaccinium myrtilloides), arrowwood (Viburnum acerifolium), common lowbush-blueberry (Vaccinium angustifolium), sweet fern (Comptonia peregrina).
- Common Mammal Species:
- North American porcupine (Erethizon dorsatum), white-tail deer (Odocoileus virginianus), black bear (Ursus americanus).
- Common Bird Species:
- Ruffed grouse (Bonasa umbellus), American woodcock (Scolopax minor).
Related Reports and Publications
1997. Establishment Record of the Hayes-Tower Research Natural Area within the Huron-Manistee National Forest. Unpublished report on file at the Northern Research Station, Rhinelander, 49 pages.
Research Natural Areas
Last Modified: August 19, 2021